Max Rayne House has been fully evacuated after its fire detection system stopped working, following several days of partial power loss, a building-wide Wi-Fi outage, and repeated fire alarm evacuations.
The first of two fire alarm incidents was recorded around 6.45am on 7 August, when residents were evacuated for approximately an hour while the fire brigade attended.
In an email sent later that day, UCL said the alarm had been activated following “a water leak that entered the electrical cupboards”, leaving some rooms with a “temporary loss of electrical power.” Wi-Fi services were also unavailable throughout the building.
That same afternoon, some residents were temporarily relocated to Schafer House and Ian Baker House. The accommodation was initially provided until Wednesday 12 August before being extended to 18 August.
A second evacuation took place on Sunday 9 August, around 9:20pm.
Witnesses said two fire engines attended Max Rayne, with firefighters entering the building in protective equipment and an electrician also being present. Residents remained outside for roughly an hour before being allowed back inside.
Videos sent to The Cheese Grater show fire engines outside the hall on Sunday evening. The exact nature and cause of the Friday and Sunday incidents remain unclear.
UCL has attributed the wider disruption to water damage caused the previous week. However, communications seen by The Cheese Grater have given differing accounts of the source of the water damage. One UCL email attributed it to a tap being left open, while another referred to a blocked toilet.
The situation escalated further on Wednesday 12 August, when UCL said Max Rayne’s fire detection system had stopped functioning.
“Unfortunately, we have now also lost the building’s fire detection system, which resulted in the evacuation of Max Rayne House this afternoon,” UCL told residents.
All students still living in the postgraduate hall were ordered to relocate to New Hall “with immediate effect.” Residents recalled staff going door-to-door, instructing people to leave the building, then carrying out further checks of rooms to ensure nobody remained inside.
The temporary relocations are currently expected to last until Friday 28 August, although UCL said residents may be allowed to return earlier if all essential services are restored and the building is deemed safe.
Access to Max Rayne has been restricted. Residents may return between 8am and 4pm to collect belongings and may be required to be escorted by security.
All residents will receive £30 per day towards food, while UCL will reimburse one taxi journey from Max Rayne to their assigned temporary accommodation and one return journey once residents are allowed back.
A UCL spokesperson said:
“Flooding at Max Rayne House was triggered by a tap being left running, causing water damage to electrical infrastructure within the building. As a result, power had to be isolated in affected areas, leading to disruption to services, including Wi-Fi.
“As a precautionary measure, 83 students were immediately relocated to nearby halls of residence and provided with a daily food allowance. Students were also advised that reasonable taxi costs would be reimbursed. Due to continuing issues arising from the water damage, a further 160 students were relocated a few days later.
“The safety and wellbeing of our students is always our highest priority. The decision to relocate residents was taken to minimise disruption and ensure their safety while repairs were carried out. Once all works have been completed and the building has been confirmed as safe, students will be supported to return to their rooms.”